Whether you’re tailgating at a football game or camping, you’ll want to serve up some delicious smoked meats.
No issue, we’re here to help you out by reviewing and recommending the best portable smoker for camping available right now.
Consider this guide if you’re in the market for the greatest portable smoker for your upcoming camping trip or road trip.
Many of the features and functionality found in comprehensive smoker models are available in portable smokers. Traveling with a little smoker, on the other hand, is made easier because they are constructed for portability. If you are looking for a compact smoker that can be taken with you, there are a few options out there.
We will thus concentrate in this post on the characteristics that distinguish a smoker portable and on the several types of fuel that may be used to power a smoker.
Top Portable Smoker for Camping
Portable smokers are distinguished by traits such as collapsible legs and compact shapes, which make them particularly convenient to transport. After conducting research and listening to consumer comments, we came up with a list of the best portable smokers.
|Weber 14-inch Smokey
|Check Latest Price|
|Kamado Joe KJ15040921
Color: Blaze Red
Brand: Kamado Joe
|Check Latest Price|
| Char-Griller E06614
|Check Latest Price|
The 11 Best Portable Smokers Review
In actuality, most portable smokers can’t be taken much farther than the back yard, despite their manufacturers’ claims to the contrary In order to find the best portable smoker for tailgating, camping, friends, and fellow, we’ve evaluated the 11 best portable smokers.
1. Weber 14-inch Smokey Mountain Portable Smoker
With the Smokey Mountain Cooker from Weber, you’re getting a product from one of the country’s most venerable portable smoker and barbecue companies. The weight of this offset smoker is much less than that of many other bulkier models, making it a more practical and portable option.
We appreciate the fact that this weber smokey mountain cooker charcoal grill and smoker are intended to boost the absorption of smoky flavor into meats during cooking.
There is no substitute for a traditional charcoal barbeque when it concerns mobility. As if that wasn’t enough, Weber is the industry’s most popular smoker.
Cooking on the fly has never been easier thanks to the Smokey Mountain Cooker, which is both high-quality and simple to use.
Its porcelain-enameled shell, along with its rust-resistant easy dump ash pan and a solidly built-in stand, should ensure that the Smokey Mountain lasts for many years beyond its generous 10-year guarantee.
Furthermore, the huge size, wood chip tray, removable fuel door, combined with the easy-to-clean inside, makes it a breeze to clean when it’s time to pack up and head out on the road.
This award-winning smoker, which is present in three sizes ranging from the extremely lightweight 14′′ to the massive 22′′ monster, takes advantage of its vertical design to expedite cooking times, allowing you to spend less time is required for your hungry guests to do anything.
It’s no wonder that the 14-inch Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker earned our designation as one of the best smokers on the market, given how well it performs at home.
- Highest attainable return on investment
- Despite its large cooking capacity, it has a small footprint
- Cleaning is a breeze.
- Large fuel door for quick charcoal and wood chips addition
- The cooking temperatures are easily controlled thanks to two high-quality dampers.
- Built-in temperature gauge included for reliable response
- The warranty period of ten years
- You’ll have to find a safe place to set the lid down while it’s off because there is no method for hanging it
- There will be some smoke leaking around the door, but the integrity of the findings will not be impacted
2. GMG Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Portable Smoker
For those looking for a set-and-forget smoker, Green Mountain Grills’ Davy Crockett pellet one of the best pellet smokers may be just what they’ve been looking for. This barbeque is both one of the most affordable and one of the highest-rated smokers available on the market.
This portable pellet smoker, which features seamless stainless steel construction for rust-resistant durability, is also a terrific addition to any backyard barbecue area.
The Davy Crockett has a smaller but still sizable capacity of cooking area 219 square inches of cooking space, which allows it to smoke or grill large two cooking racks of ribs or chrome-coated smoking racks of six steaks at a time on the grill.
However, what makes this model particularly noteworthy for its price range is the fact that it is Wi-Fi-enabled.
In other words, you can manage the cooking temperature from your smartphone, freeing up your time to watch the game indoors or actually spend time with your visitors rather than being preoccupied with the preparations.
An integrated meat probe and Sense-Mate, which work together to ensure that this barbeque does excellent work of auto-regulating the cooking door-mounted temperature gauge, are included in the package price.
In addition, the Davy Crockett’s 9-pound pellet vertical-style smoker hopper makes it easy to store fuel when you’re traveling or using it in your own backyard.
- Legs fold up for camping trips, tailgating, or beach vacations
- Stainless steel construction to prevent rusting
- Includes a complimentary waterproof cover to further safeguard your investment.
- You may use your phone to control it because it is WiFi-enabled.
- It comes included with a meat probe, which will allow you to know when your chicken is done without overcooking it
- This ‘cue has a wider temperature range, so you can grill and smoke at the same time.
- There is a two-year warranty.
- Cooking in cooler weather will require more fuel due to the thinner steel design not retaining heat efficiently
- Cooking space or capacity is less than that of the majority of pellet smokers currently on the market
- More fuel could be required mid-cook due to the smaller pellet hopper
3. Kamado Joe KJ13RH Joe Jr. Charcoal Grill Portable Smoker
Consider the Kamado Joe Jr. grill body for your next portable pellet smoker purchase if durability is a priority for you. Despite its small size, this compact ceramic BBQ is extremely adaptable, simple to operate, and will last for years.
This kamado grill has enough cooking space, cooking area dimensions are approximately 20 inches by 20 inches, making it small enough to pack while still providing a generous 148 square inches of cooking space.
Moreover, for those unfamiliar with the terminology, that’s enough to cook four burgers, three huge steaks, or even a sizable chicken or hog butt at a time.
Despite the fact that the Kamado grill is the best portable kamado smoker constructed of high-quality, cool-touch porcelain, its smaller version weighs only 68 pounds. Even so, you can expect the same high level of heat retention from this as you would from any other Kamado Joe product.
Even the most experienced best smoker will find the kamado grill features simple to operate. It comes with a strong platform, a built-in temperature gauge for your desired temperature, and rustproof stainless steel racks.
Using this ‘cue at residence is also quite feasible. Those who don’t require a lot of inches of cooking space but yet want a high-quality smoker kamado grill that gives authentic smoky flavor and grill can even have it integrated into outdoor kitchens.
- BBQ, smoking, baking, and roasting are all possibilities with this product
- Sturdy support that may be used on a tabletop or straight on the ground
- Compact size and lightweight allow for easy trunk transit
- Smoke is not emitted from a good seal provided by a high-quality gasket
- It’s easy to raise with the hinged lid, and there’s no need to set it down
- Maintaining rust-resistant stainless steel grates is easy
- A heat deflector cooking grates plate is included for low and slow cooking
- With the ash clean-out tool, cleaning up is a breeze
- Portable and long-lasting BBQ with a high-quality grill
- With the ash clean-out tool, cleaning up is a breeze
- Efficient in terms of fuel
- It’ll be hefty because it’s made of ceramic
- It’s expensive
4. Masterbuilt MB20071117 Portable Electric Smoker
The Masterbuilt MB20071117 Portable Electric Smoker is a great option and this is the best portable electric smoker if you prefer the clean-burning of electric fuel or need a smoker that can be used in an RV.
A total of cooking space 280 square inches of space is at your disposal thanks to the Patio-2-Portable’s 23 by 23-inch dimensions. Set the analog temperature gauge to the desired temperature and load it up.
Adjust the conventional temperature gauge to temperature control and load it up. One cast-iron grates tray holds water, the other wood chips, and the Electric Portable by Masterbuilt has a powerful 1,400-watt heating element, so it can heat up rapidly and maintain a comfortable temperature even in colder climates.
Despite being basic, the Masterbuilt Electric Smokers is a terrific value for money and a good investment that will provide some truly excellent meals. It is equipped with all of the tools you need to make smoking on the move a breeze.
- It’s easier to break an analog temperature controller compared to a digital one
- Faster and more efficient heating thanks to a powerful heating element
- Easy to move around because of its foldable legs and handles
- Dual trays of cast iron grates water and wood chips for more smoke production
- Design that’s simple to maintain
- Extremely reasonably priced
- Constructed weakly, yet still offers amazing value
- Traditional controls lack precision compared to digital panels
- To ensure your safety, you’ll need to locate a location that’s quite flat
5. Traeger Grills Portable Wood Pellet Grill Smoker
The ability to smoke while fishing, spending time with loved ones, or socializing with friends seems appealing. Pellet grill smokers are unsurpassed when it comes to smoking that can be left to run on its own time schedule.
Furthermore, you won’t have to give up on the authentic smoky flavor or taste of smoked wood, as they use only 100% wood pellets. Portable pellet smokers don’t come much better built than the Traeger Tailgater.
The Arc Controller with Advanced Grilling Logic from Traeger allows you to simply choose your temperature, and the controller will monitor and alter the rate at which pellets are put into the fire for accurate, hands-off management.
You’ll be able to tell when your meat is done thanks to the meat probe that comes with this unit! For those times when you just don’t have time to cook, there’s an option to keep the food warm.
Take advantage of Traeger’s inverter and some of their Signature blend hardwood pellets to get you started. The legs are foldable for simple traveling.
- American built high-quality pellet grill
- A portable BBQ with a reasonable capacity
- The ability to fold the legs makes it simple to move
- Excellent in maintaining a consistent temperature
- A well-built product can withstand daily use in the home
- Technology that is set and forgotten allows you to concentrate on the enjoyable
- As a general rule, vertical smokers take up more room than horizontal models
- If you’re cooking for a long time, you may need to refill the pellet hopper
- To keep the car battery charged, you’ll need power or an inverter
6. Broil King 911470 Keg 5000 Kamado Grill Smoker
For pre-game smoking, what could possibly be cooler than a keg smoker that you can attach to your truck? The Broil King Keg is a must-have for any tailgater looking for a portable smoker which is both functional and stylish.
Nevertheless, this portable grill smoker will not only look excellent but will also produce top-quality smoked meat that you will be proud to serve to your guests!
Compared to a traditional kamado, the Broil King Keg is made of lightweight steel with a porcelain-lined insulation layer.
This implies that this ‘cue may be used as both a portable grill and a low-and-slow cooker. Aside from searing steaks and slow-cooking ribs, this grill can also be used to prepare pizza and even bake sweets.
As an added bonus, because space is generally an issue when serving your tailgate companions, the Broil King Keg provides an ample 480 square inches of cooking space distributed across two racks. A simple swing of the top rack lets you get into the lower rack without any difficulty.
Aside from that, it has all the essential elements you need to have a great smoke when you’re on the go.
An ash drawer that can be removed for easy cleaning, as well as high-quality dampers that are resistant to corrosion is included. You don’t even have to bring a bottle opener with you because there is one included.
- Trunk space is conserved by adding a trailer hitch as an option.
- Real grill marks can be achieved with long-lasting cast-iron grates.
- Ingenious design that enables portable kamado cooking.
- Accessible bottom frying rack with hinged top rack
- Side tables for prep and storage of utensils
- Dampers that are rust-resistant are included in the package.
- The ash drawer can be removed for convenient cleaning.
- The bottle opener is even integrated into the design.
- If you don’t have the trailer hitch adapter, you won’t have to wait as long for the machine to cool down before you can transport it.
- Periodic seasoning of cooking grates is required. However, if they become rusted, they are simple to repair.
7. Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker
This propane-powered portable smoker is a variation of the Masterbuilt electric smoker that we covered previously. It’s the best portable propane smoker for cord-free grilling because it uses an environmentally friendly fuel source.
In addition to having two cooking racks with a total cooking surface area of 280 square inches, the Masterbuilt Portable Propane Smoker has the same steel and stainless metal boxed body as its electric counterpart.
Water and wood chip trays are located at the bottom of the propane smokers, allowing for exceptional smoke production while also keeping your smoke meat perfectly moist and flavorful. An analog propane controller and built-in temperature gauge make adjusting the heat level a breeze.
It’s both effective and simple to use the Best Portable Propane Smoker, which has a push-start ignition and a propane burner that’s more than capable of heating this cooking area.
It is possible to use this smoker at home, as suggested by the name, as long as you are content with a smaller capacity. For those who use it on a regular basis, you may want to invest in an adaptor hose that allows you to connect it to a standard propane bottle.
- Folding legs and a compact design make mobility a breeze
- The cooking capacity is adequate for a portable smoker
- For better smoke production, separate the water and wood trays
- This is an effective propane burner that can handle smokers of this size
- Fewer parts to break in analog than in digital temperature control
- Heat monitoring is made simple with the built-in temperature gauge
- It’s a shame the box isn’t constructed of rust-proof stainless steel
- To utilize a 20-pound propane bottle, you’ll need an adapter hose
- Need a flat surface to set up safely
- The warranty period is limited
8. Traeger Grills Ranger Wood Pellet Smoker
You may be surprised by the Traeger Ranger if you’ve grown tired of the size of the best portable pellet smoker.
This suitcase-style pellet grills smoker folds up to a mere 13 inches high and measures 21 inches wide by 20 inches high.
Despite the fact that it is not very lightweight, it is without a doubt one of the simplest smokers you can place in the back of your vehicle, truck, or RV and forget about for put and forget smoking that does not take up the entire trunk area.
You know you’re getting a high-quality product with the Ranger since it’s a Traeger. Traeger’s smaller grills are equipped with almost the same Virtual Arc Temperature Controller as the company’s larger models.
Setting the temperature to 450°F and keeping it there including in cooler weather is a breeze thanks to the thermostat’s five-degree increments.
You can cook four steaks, six burgers, or even two small fowl on its cooking space spread 184 square inches of surface area. The pellet hopper has a capacity of 8 pounds of pellets, which is a fair amount considering its size.
One of the best features of the Traeger Ranger is that it features a cast iron griddle, which is excellent for grilling. A meat probe is also included so that you can confirm compatibility when your meat is cooked without having to open the lid of your oven.
- One meat probe is included, allowing you to monitor the progress of your meat cooking
- Excellent performance by the temperature controller
- It can be smoked, baked, roasted, or grilled
- For even superior grilling, it includes a cast iron grate
- To ensure the safety of your goods, the lid can be locked
- It’s still 60 pounds, so it’s very heavy if you’re lugging it around
- The hopper is within the case, therefore you must open the cover to add pellets
9. Char-Griller E06614 AKORN Jr. Portable Charcoal Smokers
Cooking with a kamado isn’t exactly portable. However, Char-Griller has achieved the best portable charcoal smoker by transforming hefty porcelain inside the Akorn Jr, a three-layered, tiny metal egg with legs. And it’s fantastic!
This best portable charcoal smoker’s portable ‘cue is a miniature version of the Akorn kamado, which is available in the full-sized version. When it comes to portability and convenience, the Akorn Jr is your best bet. It features a handy pop-down ash pan for quick disposal, a hinged top for easy access to all of the compartments, and heavy durable cooking grates.
In comparison to more expensive models, the Akorn Jr isn’t as sturdy or heat-resistant as you might anticipate from a barbeque in this price category. These kinds of portable smokers for camping and smoking equipment come with 153 square inches of cooking area and a 5-year warranty, so you can’t really go wrong!
- Sturdy stand and grips round off the compact design
- Triple-layered steel retains heat efficiently
- With its wide temperature range, it can smoke and grill
- For better temperature regulation, dual dampers are used
- Unlike porcelain, a steel body won’t shatter or crack if it’s jostled
- Excellent sear marks that will stay for years if properly cared for
- Dumping garbage is a snap thanks to the ash tray’s pop-down design
- Steel isn’t very good at retaining heat in cooler climates
- Preventing rust requires appropriate cleaning and seasoning
- With repeated exposure to extreme heat, the red exterior may fade
10. Camerons Stovetop Portable Smoker
Outdoor enthusiasts seeking the best camping smoker can choose the Camerons Large Stovetop Smoker, which can be used to transform any outdoor fire into a smoker and packs up into a small, lightweight package for easy transportation.
A stovetop smoker is exactly what you’d expect it to be called. The cooking area in a smoker box is ideal for those who want to cook on the go and may be done in the oven, on a gas grill, or over an open fire.
In order to use a large stovetop smoker tiny box, all you need to do is fill the bottom of the pan with wood chips, add your meat, cover this with the cover or foil, and place it over your heating element.
When the wood chips begin to smolder, they will begin to smoke your food, retaining all of the moisture for exquisite results.
Seriously, the outcomes you can achieve with this device are incredible! Take a look at some other user reviews if you still don’t believe us.
The stainless steel body and racks are dishwasher safe and easy to clean after you’ve finished cooking. Alternatively, you can use the Camerons Stovetop Smoker as a standard oven dish at home, on a gas grill, or over a campfire.
- Available in two different sizes to meet your requirements.
- It can be used with any kind of wood chip.
- Keeps your food from drying out by retaining moisture.
- It also functions as a conventional cooking tray with a rack.
- In addition, it can be used as a normal cooking tray with a rack.
- It’s not a proper smoker, therefore no smoke ring or crispy bark
- It will give your home a smokey aroma when used indoors
11. Charcoal Companion CC4132 Stovetop Smoker
In the event that you are looking for a stovetop smoker that is incredibly portable, this is a superb option.
Charcoal Companion CC4132
For those who are unable to cook abroad and need something to smoke and grill within, the Charcoal Companion Stovetop Smokers are the greatest option available.
Most stovetops, including those powered by portable propane tanks, are compatible with the smoker.
Safe handling is ensured by the lid and base being made of electric heating elements like heat-safe silicone and the inclusion of a high-quality thermometer, similar to those used on a Camp Chef smoker. The smoker can reach temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat-resistant silicone material is used for the handles.
- Prepares a diverse range of cuisines
- A drip roasting pan that is simple to clean is included.
- Indoor usage is permitted
- It is necessary to have an external fuel supply.
- The cooking area is limited.
When purchasing a portable smoker, be sure to keep these things in mind:
It is critical to purchase a portable smoker that has the capacity to cook meals efficiently while still fitting in your vehicle or car. Smaller smokers have fewer heat-producing components and emit less smoke (BTUs).
It’s also important to keep in mind the many sorts of fuel that compact smokers can run on. Disadvantages and benefits can be found in every form of BBQ smoker fuel, as might.
The optimum kind of fuel for your smoker will be determined by the type of meats you intend to smoke, your cooking method, your taste in flavors, and the location where you intend to use your grill.
When purchasing a smoker for outdoor use when electricity is not possible, a pellet grill smoker or electric smoker may not be the best option; however, a portable charcoal smoker will function quite well in this situation.
Portable grills and smokers are ideal for a variety of outdoor activities, including camping, tailgating, and trips to the beach.
The design of certain smokers includes fold-out handles and folding legs, which make it easier to transport them and put them into your car trunk. Others are basically self-contained cartons, making them the most convenient to carry.
Affordability and Convenience
It’s important to have a hassle-free smoking experience when you’re out and about or camping. After all, you’re out enjoying the fresh air and attempting to relax and replenish your batteries. As a result, the smoker must be trustworthy and simple to use.
An electric power ignition system, for example, will make it simple to ignite and begin cooking a portable LP smoker quickly. Using an electric smoker is quite simple as long as you have access to electricity in your home.
Smokers that use pellets or propane are the simplest to operate and provide the most precise temperature control.
Choosing a smoker that is light enough to be carried around is the most important consideration when making your purchase. When a smoker weighs 200 pounds or even 100 pounds, it will be difficult to move and carry it around.
Traditionally built smokers are enormous and heavy due to the fact that they are intended to cook large quantities of food and hold numerous cooking grates, as well as being constructed of heavy materials.
You can Also Read: Gas vs Electric Smoker – Which One is Best For You In 2023?
Here added some Portable Smoker related frequently asked questions
What does a portable smoker entail?
A cook-off competitor’s and caterer’s dream come true with the portable smokers’ versatility and capacity. As with our portable barbecue with burner, each trailer has a wire basket for storing wood, an ice chest holder, and a water cooler.
In portable smokers, what kinds of wood pellets are available?
You have a wide variety of wood pellets can choose from it comes to a portable pellets smoker for camping. They are available in a variety of varieties, each having a unique flavor to enhance the flavor.
Depending on the meal you’re smoking and the type of smoker you have, you’ll want to pick the right kind of wood pellets. If you’re looking to cook meat, charcoal, pecan, mesquite hickory, and gourmet blend pellets are the best options.
Compared to wood chips, are pellets a better option?
Despite the fact that wood chips require little preparation, they burn more quickly than pellets, resulting in fewer smokey flavors than pellets. Pellets can be used to cook a wider range of meats due to the higher temperatures they can reach throughout the cooking process.
Mary – is a passionate Food Blogger, currently writing at Best Smoker Guide. Having years of work experience on food blogging field and have a good sense of humor. She enjoys eating new foods and finding ways to cook them out.